In the early 1900's the original Casino Theatre was known as the Airdrome and featured vaudeville acts. Under the direction of Bill Hunt the theatre was soon refurbished and became The Casino. This original building was destroyed by fire in 1922 but was quickly rebuilt for the following season. Once again The Casino was stuck by fire and destroyed on April 19, 1939. Hunt promptly rebuilt the Casino building that most of us remember. This new theatre had an ultra-modern art deco flair. Designed by architect William H. Lee and constructed by Joseph Scully the new 1,200 seat movie house opened on April 11, 1940. The Casino operated year round and was the classiest of all the theatres in the Wildwoods. In the early 1980's the theatre was converted into a hugh video and pinball palace called The Hollywood Casino. It was quite an attraction and did well for a few years but was soon converted into the Photon laser tag arena. This new attraction didn't last long and the building was eventually vacant and being used for storage. Sadly the Casino would never get another chance to entertain - The building was demolished in 1999 and another classic Wildwood structure was gone by way of the wrecking ball.
Second Casino theatre was destroyed by fire in 1939.
WiLLARD "Tears em up" in 1971
~ Click on the above link to read about Willard. ~
Rollercoaster...In Sensurround!
One of the summer blockbusters of 1977.
Hollywood Casino Arcade in the early 80's.
Photon in the early 90's.
Interior shot of the Hollywood Casino Arcade.
Image was taken from a postcard.

Piers - Theatres - Home

Copyright 2001 Ralph Grassi