Fun Pier emerged in 1957 when Joe Barnes Jr. aquired the old Convention Hall Pier - which was originally constructed in 1927. The old entrance to the Hall - which had contained shops and an arcade - was removed to make way for a miniature golf course and amusements. Joe Barnes continued to develope the pier by adding many memorable rides and attractions that made it worth the trek to the southern most pier on the Boards. - It was around 1977 when Joe Barnes sold the pier to William Howard. Bill and his wife Helen operated Fun Pier for its duration and added several new attractions during those years. On August 13th 1984 - fire broke out on the pier causing an estimated $200,000 in damages and destroying several attractions including Frankenstein's Castle. Little more than 3 months later on November 24th...another fire erupted claiming much of the north side of the pier. The days of "Fun" had come to an end and the pier with the looming tower was eventually purchased and developed by the Morey Organization.
The original Convention Hall Pier as it appeared in the late 20's.
This shows the pier after the front entrance was removed to accommodate amusements.

The Crazy House 1969.
The above advertisment is from 1983.
Exiting through the "Barrel of Fun" would always draw a crowd.
The Crazy House was a Bill Tracy designed walk-thru funhouse.
Looking East toward the back of Fun Pier.
Front of the pier in the summer of 69'.
Rotojets in 1966 - The Bat Cave in the background would take on several incarnations including the Tiki Train, the Devils Inn and ultimately The Lost World.
Looking West over the pier in 1966.


The photos above are of the Devil's Inn during the early 1970's and the Tiki Train in the late 1960's. Note the different car styles.

Top - Piers - Sculpture - Home